On August 23, Jed Wilson (blog | twitter) gave an excellent overview of using Ola Hallengren's maintenance routines as an alternative to SQL Server's Maintenance Plans.
- installation options
- installed components (table, SP's, functions, SQL Agent jobs)
- backup scripts (Full and simple recovery modes)
- index optimization (rebuild, reorg, update stats)
- Feature comparison between Ola's and Maintenance Plans
- a Power Shell script for backing up SSAS databases
I particularly liked how he showed us a standard DBA Admin table and naming conventions for consistency from environment to environment in a multi-location/multi-server shop.
He gave a great tip to do Transaction Log backups every three minutes during Index Rebuild operations to keep the transaction log size at a more consistent size.
Ola generously provided Jed with additional resources, demo scripts, and a supplemental Power Point slide deck.